Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to restrict size of a directory in Windows 2000 server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbo007

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2003
ES
Hello all,

Is there any way to restrict the size of a directory under Windows 2000 server?

Here is my dilema.

I have roaming profiles setup and the users keep saving loads of files to the desktop or My Documents. I want to restrict the size of those two directories in the profile so that they can't pass a certain size. Otherwise my romaing profiles are getting to stupid sizes.

I know there is an option under the GP to restrict profile size but with the users low IT knowlegde they would freak out when they got the message saying their profile is too large. They would no know what to do...

Thanks,

Rob

I would approach it from this direction. Limit what the profile is used for.

1) Move My documents to a file server location. Create a share something like \\fileserver\User1\My documents. Apply the relevant permissions.
2) Educate them not to save anything to desktop. You can through group policies stop them altering the desktop. However, I think would stop them putting short-cuts as well. I told my users that anything on the desktop would not be backed up. One issue I have experienced is that files saved to the desktop, as part of a roaming profile, can get corrupted.

This way your profiles should be relatively small unless they are installing applications and depending on the internet controls.

My perspective on roaming profiles is that they only really contain configurations etc.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of re-directing the my documents folder via the gP's but the problem is they don't seem to learna nd they save huge amounts of files there.

The only way I can see is to restrict it...

Quotas on the drives that store the profiles... chargeback systems...

Socialize it something like this: "Total IT costs are $XXX,XXX.XX (or whatever)... Does your group want to pay an average amount or based on your actual usage?"

Good luck!!

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back