Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to restrict a FTP user to one upload directory only

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgazzane

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2002
US
I have a remote user uploading files to my system and I would like to restrict the uploading to one directory and not allow "cd"ing to anywhere else, or copy, read etc. I would also like to have the uploaded file be owned by another user after it is uploaded without manually chowning it.
So remote user ftp's as ftp1 which put's him in a directory /u1/dir2/dir3/upload/ and the file he uploads needs to be owned by user2 so user2 can get it and do whatever he needs to it.
Ftp1 does not need to download from my system or do anything but upload a file.
I've been searching the web for answers but have not found them yet. I know this forum will have the answer or point me to TID on it.

Thanks so much for your time.

What ftp server software do you use ?
And you can configure from your ftp server.
From the ftp server configuration, you can point to the uploading file directory.And users only can access that directory.So you can search the document about your ftp server.You will get the answer from there.
Good Luck....:)

There is a good description of how to set up a relatively secure anonymous FTP server on the ftpd man page. Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back