Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To Restore SQL Server Data From Hard Disk Backup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwena

Programmer
Mar 11, 2004
IL
Hi Guys,

I need to restore an old data from SQL server, but I don't have backup files. What I do have is the hard disk backup on backup Cassettes. Is there a way to extract the data from the hard disk?

What do you mean by 'hard disk backup'? Do you mean something like an operating system backup?

If the backup you do have was made by just backing up the files on the hard disk, that won't work (one exception below). SQL Server databases (files) can not be backed up while they are in use unless you use the SQL Server backup commands (you can use 3rd party software as long as they use the SQL Server commands for the backups).

The one exception is if the database was offline (detached or services stopped). Then a backup of the files will work. In this case all you need to do is copy the files back to their original location and attach them to SQL Server (sp_attach_db).

-SQLBill

Thanks for the Info, SQLBill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back