Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to restore regisrty files on IE 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayddd

MIS
Nov 24, 2002
My computer, running XP, is just recovering from a virus. The virus has been taken care of but now my browser will not display any website that uses Javascript.

One of the websites I was trying to access said to go to Tools-Internet Options-
Security- Custom Level- and to make sure the Active Scripts subfolders were checked for Enable. I did this to no avail.

Next I downlosded IE 6.0 and reinstalled- still no help.

When I go to Help on the toolbar and scroll down to About Internet Explorer it displays the usual window but the Version,Cipher strength, and the Product ID are blank.

I posted this question on the Javascript forum and received the following reply:

"Seems like the virus messed up the IE regisrty files, even uninstalling and reinstalling willnot work because the uninstaller doesn't remove certain registry files that other apps might be using...
Try posting this question in the windowsXP forum"

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated-

Thanks,

Ray

Working from this old MSKB article you could try reregistering these files, it may or may not work.

261328 - Cipher Strength Appears as 0-Bit in Internet Explorer

reregister
Schannel.dll, Rsaenh.dll and Advapi32.dll
Run each of the following from start/run:

regsvr32 Schannel.dll
regsvr32 Rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 Advapi32.dll

To Reinstall IE6:

1) Insert the Win XP CD

2) Open Start / Run and type:
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

Press ENTER

To save you perhaps a lot of time you should check out the antivirus venders sites as they often have tools made especially for certain virus created problems see

this PANDA site offers free utilities to correct problems associated with viruses but you need to know what virus hit you. This I think you can find out maybe by doing a scan on-line

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back