Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to restore my desktop...after restoring all my c:/ , files, prgms

Status
Not open for further replies.

raviccie

Technical User
Aug 4, 2002
US
used win2k backup utility to backup my whole c:/ drive (6G) .....which backed-up the whole c: drive (all my user files and programs, and everything on it) onto another drive d:/ harddrive(40G) on the same computer......it worked fine...and created a backup folder.."Backup"

then i removed the old 6 Gig C:/ HD and replaced it with a new 40 Gig HD. so now i have a new HD c:/ (40 gig) and the old HD d:/ (which is also 40 gig).

after installing a new c: drive, i had to install a
win2k-professional OS to format and startup my pc...which went fine..

then i went to the d:/ HD and did the restore....(part of the same backup/restore utility of win2k) of the "Backup" folder. while restoring...it asked me (something...along the line of replacing all the old files with the new one...to which..i said...yes - since i wanted a exact replication of the old c:/ drive on to the new c:/ drive)...and finally it did restored everything...all the files and folders....EXCEPT....the desktop icons..i.e. i did not get restored the desktop icons.....so my question, is how do i get the desktop icons back...

SUMMARY: win2k backup and restore utility...desktop icons..
QUESTION: after restoring all the user-files/documents and programs...successfully...how do i restore...the desktop icons..

any help would be greatly appreciated ....

thanks

*Ravi

success is not an end point..but the journey..so make every moment of the life happy and successful...by doing what you like to do..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back