Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to restore Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

heintze

Programmer
Nov 19, 2005
US
I had a virus change the hidden bit on many of my files. I'd like to restore the display on my start menu including:
(1) Control panel and specifically the Add/Remove Programs
(2) Faxes and Printers
I found some of the files in c:\windows\system32\*.msc and I have removed the hidden attribute but that did not help the display.
I'm sure I need to do a "attrib -h *.* /s /d" somewhere to restore the links but I'm not sure where.

Thanks,
Siegfried

I am not sure if you already have attempted this, but I would run ComboFix on that system, it does have a routine at the end of the scan that automatically does the attribute change for you...

also see the following:

Restore Missing/Hidden Items in Windows 7 or Vista Control Panel

Where is the startup folder located in Windows 7 for a user and all users profile

and in case you are using XP:

Adding or removing icons in Windows Control Panel

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

In Registry Editor, locate the following registry key and check the access permissions:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

You may like to consider the following before reinstalling the operating system.

Use the Vista instructions in this to reset to default the security settings.

How do I restore security settings to the default settings?

"Beginning with Windows Vista, the method to apply the security during operating system setup changed. Specifically, security settings consisted of settings defined in deftbase.inf augmented by settings applied by the operating installation process and server role installation. Because there is no supported process to replay the permissions made by the operating system setup, the use of the “secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose” command line is no longer capable of resetting all security defaults and may even result in the operating system becoming unstable."

I done know if it still around but look at ZTREE it was an attempt to to have the feature of xtree(dos program). It was good to view and change attributes

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back