Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to restore a tape without catalog ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin911

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2004
CA
I am using backup exec 9.1 on a new server (windows 2000) the company where i am right now had tape from a few years ago that where back up on a mac computer using Retrospec software for mac.

I would like to know how i could restore the content of those tape if anyone know with veritas backup exec and if so how can i do it. I tried using the restore option but since its not in my catalog i doesnt seem to be able to view the tape content.

Thanks,

Martin

Import the tape to your device.
RIght click on the tape/slot.
Select CATALOG.

Let it finish cataloging the tape.

-SQLBill

When doing Inventory i get empty in media label.. After doing an import it give me unknown media and when i seem to use the catalog option even after 30 minute the status in the job minitor is at loading media.

Possibly a bad tape? I dont know though what kind of tapes are you using? As posted before first you must Inventory the Tape, then Catalog the tape. Depending on the amount of Data on the tape it can take some time.

I missed the important part of your post. These aren't backup exec tapes. They were created by another backup software. You are going to have to get that Retrospect software. And it may still not work since it's a backup of a MAC computer and you are trying to put it on a Windows box.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back