Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to resize NTFS Partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saqi2000

Programmer
Apr 11, 2002
GB
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me how can I resize partition? I have partitioned my hard disk during installation and now it's running out of space and I am not using the the partioned I have created. I have 40GB and my PC does not see all of it if I don't partition it.

Can anyone suggest how can I resize partition without buying packages like partition magic and so on?

Your help would me much appreciated.

Tk Cr

Saqi

Knowledge is something no one can steal from you and it increase as time goes by. Saqi

I'm not sure if I understand correctly.

You partitioned your hdd during install, but now you don't see all the partitions you created?

Did you format the partitions?

Or, are you talking about that your bios still has the 32gb barrier (so get a bios update then)?

Have a look in the Disk Management tool via compmgmt.msc typed in Start Run. Do you have any Unallocated Space that you can Format as an extra Partition? Or do you already have two formatted partitions and want to Resize one of them at the expense of the other?

Whatever you use to Resize your partition, these procedures are not without some risk, even though it is a very slight risk. Backup your valuable data first.

BootIt NG

"Resize partitions - Can both shrink and expand FAT/FAT32 and NTFS partitions. Can also easily resize extended partitions from either end."

The free possibilities I know of are
Partition Logic

Ranish Partition Manager

Another free option is an Ubuntu-linux boot-cd that has the linux partitionmanager that is NTFS-able these days. (read a detailed article in a dutch computer-mag Computertotaal.nl, article is not online)

HTH
TonHu

Guys, does any of these free utilities work on Windows 2000/2003 Servers just out of interest?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

You said you had a least 2 partitions? Correct
If so what do you have on the second partition? Are you using it for anything?

If you are running out of room because you store everything on C:drive, why not move all of data on to the other drive.
You will benefit in 2 ways,
1) you have separate data from operating system making a restore or reinstall easier if you have to.
2)You now have more room for the operating system.

Plus you will have be to be fouling around with partition resizing which is always a risky business no matter how safe some people may think it is. Remember shit happen.

Never Say Never (Romeio Void)

Homebuilt MSI MD5000MD-5000 M-ATX, 2.4Gig, 393mb, WinXp Pro
Homebuilt Iwill KK266R-Plus, 768mb, WinXp Pro

TheLad,

These partition tools boot from a CD or floppy disk and run as a standalone system, independent of your regular operating system. I have never used them on any Servers and wouldn't without a full safety net of backups etc.

Good question, TheLad

Ubuntu probably uses NTFS-3G, and ntfsresize says OK for 2k, 2k3 systems.

for more info

However earlier distros, and some now, were not 2k/2k3 write compatible. And the popular QTPARTED does not use ntfsresize and 2kx is questionable

Get the latest.

the ntfsresize people mention (recommend?)
which seems to make an application live cd, 30Meg d/l?

J

From my experience, most of these tools will work just as well on single drive Windows Server OS's as they do on other NTFS formatted drives like XP. However, most real servers are set up with multiple hard drives in some sort of RAID (hardware or software) configuration. Software raid is controlled by the Windows OS, so there's zero chance of being able to resize a partition while Windows isn't running. Hardware controller based RAID arrays have a small chance of succeding depending on the controller, but I'd put the odds of success at less than 20 percent.

I use gparted--- --and to get you started first

I really recommend downloading ISO Recorder to convert and burn your ISO file this program is free

Next check out-

Dual-booting Windows and Linux the easy way (Linux.com videos) A very down to earth description of how to partition you windows

These four videos step you through the process of downloading GPartEd (the program's nickname) from SourceForge.net, defragmenting Windows, shrinking your Windows partition,

and if you want to installing the three most commonly-used Linux partitions. As a free bonus, a fifth video will show you how to uninstall Linux and stretch your shrunk-down Windows partitition until it once again takes up your whole hard dr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back