Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Reset Full Log File

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolGlenn

Programmer
Nov 6, 2002
PH
I am having a problem right now.. It is my first to use Microsoft SQL. How do i reset logfile if it is full..

Please have it answered immediately..

Thanks

You can use

backup log [database name] with truncate_only

but if you don't want to use the log for any reason (i.e. point in time backups) then I suggest you change the database so that it doesn't keep a record of the transactions at all. Go to Properties of the database and under the option tab, change Model from Full to Simple.

After truncating the log you need to do a full backup then shrink the log file to a more resonable size. The shrink is done via the DBCC SHRINKFILE command.

You will want to shrink it to about twice the size of a single says logs. Then setup regular transaction log backups. Hourly or daily or whatever depending on your recovery needs.

When you backup the log on a regular basis the log will not grow out of control.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back