Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to replace drives in a RAID 1 array with larger drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgerman

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2009
US
I have a Windows Server 2003 machine with an Intel Entry Server Board 5875WP1-E motherboard. I have two 112 GB drives setup in a Raid 1 array (mirrored) using the Fastbuild Utility 2.01 from Promise Technology. The drives are partitioned to a 20 GB C: (system) drive and a 92 GB D: (data) drive.

The D: partition is running out of space. I want to replace both drives with two 1 TB drives and have the free space added to the current D: partition.

I replaced one of the old drives with a new one, started and ran the Fastbuild utility to re-build the mirror to the new drive. Then I replaced the other old drive with the other new one and rebuilt the array again. At this point the system boots and sees the array as identical to the original array at 112 GB in size. I disconnected one of the new drives and deleted the array to try to boot the system from the other new drive as a stand alone drive but got an error message along the lines of please replace the boot disk.
To get the system bootable, I re-connected the 2nd drive, entered Fastbuild and rebuilt the array back to the 1st drive.

I'm trying to get this all planned out before I try again. I've been reading up and the best I understand is I need to do this:
Disconnect one of the drives for use as a backup if needed.
Startup and enter Fastbuild and delete the array.
Enter BIOS and disable RAID in order for the system to boot from the stand alone drive (I would love if someone could verify this step).
Boot up to Windows and run a 3rd party utility (Easus) to adjust the drive partitions the way I want them.
If all is well with the first drive and boots up at this point, shut down and reconnect the 2nd drive.
Startup and delete the 2nd drive partitions (maybe not necessary)? Restart and re-enable RAID in the BIOS. Enter Fastbuild and create a new array to the 2nd drive.

I'm open to any suggestions but would love to hear from anyone that has successfully done this.

Thank you!
Marty

If you actually can successfully rebuild the array with different drive sizes, then in the end, you'll have to manually rebuild the partitions - if that's even possible.

The best (maybe only) way to do this correct is this:
1. Back up your current data to other storage.
2. Take the old drives out..
3. Put the new drives in..
4. Create your new RAID 1 array.
5. Put the same DATA from old array onto the new array..

Of course, number 1 and 5 will be best done with an imaging program.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I would say you need to do all of the above, but with these added steps:

1. Back up your current data to other storage.
1.5 Take IMAGE of just the O.S. partition with Ghost/Acronis
2. Take the old drives out..
3. Put the new drives in..
4. Create your new RAID 1 array.
4.5 Resore Image of O.S. partition and see if it will boot.
5. Put the same DATA from old array onto the new array..

If after 4.5, it will NOT boot, you will just need to reinstall the O.S. and then restore your data - number 5.

You can always abort all of this and go back to your old hard drives and you will still be booting up, so nothing is really lost except your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back