Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to replace bad hard drive in raid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcpipgeek

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2007
US
Hello,
I have a small business with a PC box that is running windows 2000 server. I am running it in Raid 1. I recently started to get notice that the array is broken due to a failed hard drive.

My question is how do I replace the broken hard drive and not loose my data?

Thank you,

Raid 1 is a mirroring raid so one drive should have an entire copy of all of your data. There are a couple of factors that impact the process for replacing your broken drive.

First, are your drives hot swappable, meaning designed to be removed or inserted into the system while it is running? Some drives like SCSI ULTRA typically are, while more consumer grade devices won't be. If they are, you may be able to simply unplug the failed device and replace it with a new drive.

Second, it will depend on the raid controller. Will your controller automatically rebuild the array if you insert a new drive?

Third, depending on the nature of the failure, you will need to watch for possible errors. One problem with mirroring arrays is that they can mirror 'bad' data too.

If you can't answer those questions above right off the bat, get professional help and don't risk your data and operating system by trying to do it yourself.

My guess is that since you ARE asking the question in the first place, it would be best to call for help straight away.

Things can get ugly real fast if you make mistakes in drive replacement and especially if you have to give a command to re-mirror. Re-mirror the new drive to the old and you got nuthin' left.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I am just using a standard PC for a server. So no hot swap drives just standard sata drives. I am not sure if there is a software in server 2000 to bring the new drive to the raid or if it has to be done in bios. I am just using on board sata and what ever raid option came with the stand PC board. The PC is about 2 years old.

I know raid one is mirroring but what needs to be done to the drive before it can be recognized by the raid? is it just install the drive and look for a "Mirror" command and make sure I am mirroring the old drive with the data to the new drive? or are there other steps that I need to take?

Thanks again for the help I appreciate it. I may need to get this fixed as soon as this weekend. :/

It depends on the RAID controller. Some will do everything for you if you pull the DEAD drive out and put in a compatible drive to replace it. You would have to look at which controller you have. Often there will be "hit Fx button to enter RAID utility" message upon boot up.

The question is - which drive is dead. It usually won't hurt anything if you pull the wrong one. Your system just won't boot if the bad hard drive is really far gone. Pull one and see if it will boot. If not, you got the wrong drive.

If you get the wrong one, just switch and pull the REAL bad one AND install the new drive. Don't install the new drive until you're sure you have pulled the right bad drive.

I hope you have good backups of your data. Even if you "think" you have good backups, and have not verified they are good, I would do that NOW. If you do not have a good recent backup that should be done NOW.

Don't touch the hard drive until you have a good backup.

I am pretty sure it was doing using I think Promise raid controller? or the via one. Which ever came on the Asus mother board.

If it was done through windows..... is there an option in disk management to simple mirror the drive?

If it had been done through the promise / via raid bios utility can I still fix it with Windows? Or do I have to use the Promise / VIA utility?

Thanks for the replies.

If the raid was built with the controller options, you will not be able to do the rebuild from windows. What you should do is boot into the tools, and check the settings there, but first you should find your system board at the asustek website and download and read the manual about raid. If you still have questions, look for a reputable local shop that can help you out. Some of the more expensive repair jobs I have are ones where " I tried to fix it" are said as they drop off the box.

If it was done through windows (software RAID) it gets more complicated. I still think (from the questions being asked) that you defer to someone else. We have mentioned the risk factor.

On my board, it's like CTRL F (or something at bootup) and you can see the status of the RAID. It doesn't however help you to determine which drive to pull.

Backup - yeah that would be MORE than prudent. At least take a look at where the hard drives plug into on the motherboard and tell us which motherboard you have if you wish to continue. For all we know, you have built-in promise fast track raid, but you put in a PCI card and are using that. How would we know if you don't know for sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back