Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to replace a mirror disk in a SuperMicro server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fr33l3r

MIS
Dec 2, 2003
NL
I have a supermicro server with a Adaptec embedded SATA HostRAID BIOS v2.1-0 bootleg 12/01

I have 2 120GB SATA HDD's from WD in a mirror and the BIOS says that the healthy disk is degraded and the other disk failed. Now i want to switch the defect disk for a new one but i can't seem to figger out how to delete the defect disk from the mirror set and replace it for the new one.

I fysicly replace the disk and when i want to add the new disk to the mirror the BIOS tells me that there is not enough space to do it cause i have only two positions. The old disk is gray and stays in the set so i can't add a new one to it. Can anyone tell me how i do this?

It's the first time i must replace a hardware mirror and now the system is running on the last disk. So if anyone can help.. please..

You must first break the mirror, then remove the old disk, then add the new disk, and create a new mirror.

That's exact wat i thought but it doesn't work like that in this BIOS version. I read about removing the the array only i do'nt know what will happen with the data on the disk when doing that.

ah ok, that's telling a lot. So if i do that i make a new array and create the mirror. How does the system see what disk is the original? Does it ask for a source disk when making a new mirror?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back