Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to replace a drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davetoo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2002
US
I had a drive go defunct on me this morning. Ok, not a problem, called IBM, they arranged to get me a new drive out right away (great service).

Contacted my consultants because they're supposed to be monitoring our servers for just this type of event. After some checking, we found that when the drive failed, it didn't log an event, thus no alert from the monitoring company.

I'm running ServRAID 6.10.24, and we found that it keeps it's own events and doesn't pass them back through to Windows. Ok, no problem, we set the alerts with the ServRAID to send out some emails on warnings and errors, and set the SNMP traps so the monitoring company would see the events as well and we'd be doubly covered.

Now, here's the problem. While I was working with the consultants, they had me pop the drive out and reset it in the server (Netfinity 5000 with hot swaps). I did it, they triggered a search for new hardware in ServRAID, and lo and behold, it registered the previously defunct drive as a good drive and set it back as the hot swap. In other words, by taking it out and putting it back into the system, it appears to the system as a good drive again.

Meanwhile, less than an hour after calling, I received the replacement drive from IBM's courier service. Obviously I don't trust the drive that's in there, so I want to replace it. The thing is, now I don't have the option to mark the drive as defunct and to switch drives since it shows it as a good drive.

What is the proper way to replace an apparent valid drive in the ServRAID system?

Thanks.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Got it sorted. You just pull the drive out and wait a minute or two and the ServRAID will see the drive's missing. Then just pop in the new drive and it will see the new drive and mark it accordingly.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back