Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to repair harddrive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadbot

Technical User
Apr 26, 2003
US
To update from ME to W2K Professions, I did a clean W2K install on a new second drive set to master and just disconnected the old ME drive. Once that was easily done, I set the older (ME) drive jumpers to slave. BIOS finds both drives just fine, but the second (ME) drive did not come up on the desktop. I found disk adminstrator which wanted to add a 'signature' which I think I said okay. In disk administrator, I could see disk0 as well as disk1 (the old ME drive), but it says disk1 is 'unallocated' and wants to run a wizard.

Fearing i would lose data on the disk1, I avoided the wizard.

I then tried to boot the system into ME with just the older harddrive set to master. It will not. Altho Bios finds the harddrive, it ignores the hardrive, doesn't report any type of error. It Simply jumps to the A floppy drive, then tells me to insert a disk in the floppy drive. I checked the Bios boot order, at it is indeed IDE first.

Any ideas how I can get the ME disk mounted on the W2K desktop so I can copy over some files to the newer W2K drive?

I downloaded manufacturer program that fully tested the old ME drive and it reports it is fine.

Thanks in advance if anyone has a magic solution here.

Michael

There is a program called Drive Copy 4.0 from You could format the Win 2K disk, and then copy the ME disk to it. When done, just install Win 2k on the drive as a dual boot situation.

Boot from a winME boot floppy - with just ME drive connected ( if you haven't one) and run fdisk. If it can see the fat32 partition, set it active (if its not - I suspect this may be your problem).

If the partition doesn't appear to be there, you may need a data recovery app - there's a free one which seems to work well with fat32 here:- (install this in win2k with ME disk mounted as slave, and see what it can find on the ME drive).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back