Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to rename UNIX kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbovic

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2008
US
SCO OpenServer 5.4
I built a new kernel that did not work as I would like. I would like to use my old kernel which is now unix.old. When I try to rename my current unix to unix.bad I get a cannot do, read only file system. I tried in maint mode with the same results. I could do this years ago but seem to have lost the touch. I also tried unsing chmod but it is also not allowed. I am sure that the same technique will allow me to rename unix.old to unix for a hands free boot.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
turbovic

You need to unmount the /stand filesystem, then remount it without specifying the READ ONLY mode.
Then you can change/copy the boot kernel as you want.

# cd /
# umount /stand
# mount /stand
# cd /stand
(do whatever you think is best here)
(if you copy the kernel, make sure you retain the proper permissions and ownership!)
# cd /
# umount /stand
# mount -r /stand

Keep in mind that this won't necessarily take you back to the point you were before things went awry. You may still have issues depending upon what was changed to cause the problem in the first place.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back