Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to RENAME a Visual C++ Project??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax2

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
US
I'd like to rename my project, and am wondering if there might be an easy way to do this. It is a dialog based project, so the name cascades through quite a bit of the files. I tried a global search & replace, while renaming all the files... and Visual Studio crashes when I try to open the 'new' project, so I'm pretty sure I didn't do everything I needed to to complete my task.... any ideas? thanks beforehand....

Try this on a copy of your project:
- Make an global search and replace in your files. take care at .CLW file - the Class wizard file, and at Resource.h
- delete the .ncb and .opt and .aps files from your project
- open the resources and modify the String Table and Version information.

Good luck,s-)

Blessed is he who in the name of justice and good will, shepards the week through the valley of darknees...

I know the comments inside the files tell you not to, but you can also edit the Workspace & Project files.

As long as you are careful, you should modify the Workspace file (MyProject.dsw) first & then modify the Project file (MyProject.dsp)

If you are using Visual SourceSafe, you should rename the project before opening it in Visual Studio. You should get a message box asking you to browse for the project. Point at new name & quit Visual Studio.

I've renamed lots of Projects & reorganised Visual SourceSafe so many times, I've lost count !!! Spencer Window (not a joke name)

I used a program that did everything for me. It will rename projects with no fuss at all. It's located at
The maker is Kinook Software and the program has an evaluation period of 15 days. The progrm is called CopyWiz.

I just found something that CopyWiz (the previous program I used) didn't change. It didn't change the classwizard file (.clw). To fix this:
- open up the *.clw file (in place of the * will be the name of your project e.g. myproject.clw ).
- go through and change the places where myproject occur in the file to what the new project is called.
- copy the .clw file to the same directory your .dsp file is.

I hope this works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back