Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove setup option at Boot / RAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamcall

Programmer
Aug 23, 2000
GB
Hi All,
I wanted to re-install RAS on NT Server 4
(Service Pack 6) & so ran Windows NT 4 Set-up from the
CD (thinking it would give me software (re-)install options.
To my horror, it seemed to be just doing the stuff for a
system re-install & now, after exiting Set-up, I find an
extra option at System load time (apart from NT4 & NT4 (VGA)). How do I remove this & how do I re-install RAS & are these questions linked?

T.I.A,
GAM

You can remove the extra options by editing them out of your boot.ini file. This is typically found at the root of c:\. Be very careful here. If you delete the wrong info your machine won't boot.

RAS is removed and added in the services tab of your network properties. Be sure and apply the latest service pack after removing and readding the service because significant changes have been made to the service since it was originally released.

Good luck.

Didn't have the guts to edit boot.ini directly, instead used a config interface to select default startup OS. Then did as you advised above & RAS is now happily back on the system, thanks :) Only problem is that NT Server 4 Set-up is still an option at boot-time & I don't want it to be. How do I remove it, & preferably any associated temp files?

Thanks again,
GAM

The only way to get rid of the option is to edit the boot.ini directly or by finding a third party utility that will do it. I personally am not aware of any utilities that do this. It should be fairly easy to identify the line you want to take out. It will be under the operating system list. The one under default should be the one in use and should be left alone in default and operating systems. The one that is identical to the default except for vga should be left alone in case you have video problems. I am not sure on any temp files. Good luck.

Ok - I've looked at the boot.ini file & yes, it seems I can now remove the (non-default) boot option of WinNT 4 Server setup. I don't want to do this if I'm leaving the system in some kind of unresolved state. Should I run setup? If I do, can I kind of do it in a non-destructive or do nothing way? I'd rather not actually run it only to find I was re-installing the operating system on our only file server...

Thanks for all the help so far,

GAM

Proceeding with the setup would be a mistake. It would write over everything. I can think of no problems that could arise from deleting the entries from the boot.ini and forgetting that anything ever happened. The only thing that it has really done up to this point is collect some basic hardware info and preload certain files. I honestly don't remember where those files preload to, but it won't affect your current setup and if you ever have to reinstall it will just write over what is preloaded. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back