Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove entries in "Add/Remove Programs"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

correro

Programmer
Nov 20, 2003
CN
Some programs were deleted from my system but entries still remain in "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel.

When I click the "Change/Remove" button, it doesn't do anything.

I guess I have to go to registry. But I'm also aware of the risks. Can someone please tell me how to remove them safely? Thanks!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Each program listed in Add/Remove Programs has a subkey listed here. Locate the correct subkey for the program in question and right click it, then select Delete. You may want to choose Export, first, to export the key to a REG file. The REG file can be re-imported if you find you made a mistake.

If you're hesitant to enter the registry, TweakUI will remove entries from "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel.

Be careful to not to remove live entries as it's dificult if not impossible to recover them unless you have a backup copy of your Registry.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back