Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Remove Background from Photo 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radneys99

Technical User
Oct 19, 2006
US
I have a picture thats a head to toe shot of a friend, I was wondering how I could completely remove the background and completely isolate the image of my friend from the photo. I ultimately want an image of her entire body, with a white background. Thanks!

you could use the laso tool in point to point mode, and just very carefully outline her body. the just cut her out and paste her onto a white background.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

You need to make a selection around your friend. As Vacunita says, you could use the lasso tool. If she's standing in front of a fairly plain background, it may be easier to select the background with the magic wand and then invert it.

A technique I sometimes use to make fiddly selections is to use the lasso/smart edge/magic wand/whatever to make a crude selection.

Then I create a new layer and flood-fill the selection with a bold colour (red is good) - it will cover up most of your friend. Then I get rid of the selection, adjust the opacity of the layer to about 50% so the picture shows through, and use the brush and the eraser to tweak the red area until it's a pixel-perfect match with what I want to select.

Finally I use the magic wand to select the red area, and switch layers so it's selecting the picture instead (you can get rid of the red mask layer at this point, or just make it invisible.

Once you've got a good selection, you should "feather" it slightly to avoid getting jagged edges. You'll find that in the selection>modify menu.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back