Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove an Icon from the control panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelordoftherings

Programmer
May 16, 2004
IL
Hello,

I've unistalled a program but it's Icon is still at the control panel. I can't find it at the registry.
How do I remove it?

'a program' ?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

I installed Java JDK 1.3.1 and after installing 1.4 and removing 1.3.1 it's Icon stayed. Any ideas?

Try to delete (rename) the CPL file in C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.3.1\bin directory (or anything that looks like that folder)

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

As I sdaid I already unistalled this program.
This folder does not exist anymore.

ok, but it is not because something is uninstalled the folder could not be there, in this case, it is gone if you are sure.
Go into Explorer and search for a file j*.cpl and see what it comes up with.

Marc
[/sub]

Try searching using this string: plugin*.cpl or even *.cpl
It's likely to be located in C:\windows\system

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

it's likely in the CONTROL.INI folder in Windows
or use to remove it micker377's suggestion

search the reg for Bits and pieces, leftover anyway
Start > Run Regedit
CTRL + F
Ticked = Keys, Values, Data
UnTicked = Match whole string only
use F3 to continue search

D/l RegClean 4.1a and use (google)

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

like everyone already mentioned, you look for anything resembling that java, like java, sun, js , cpl, ...

Marc
[/sub]

Please don't be so bold! WE are not in front on the machine.

YOU on the the otherhand, are, and are asking "I didn't understand the last post. What should I search at the regedit?"

I reply again what you should be looking for, specifying resemblance.
I you still don't find anything, sorry, but we cannot look inside you PC.

If we cannot help, why not contact SUN, they made that awfull Java-App.

Marc
[/sub]

I am sorry if I sounded bold, I didn't mean to.
Anyway, thank you everyone for trying to help.

Hello lordoftherings123,

This is something which can be resolved with practically no surprise. No wonder if you keep saying no after good advices without further elucidation, it's hard to take.

A string to search:
plugin*.cpl
on the whole system (including all hard drives).

Refer to eg this page for further info:

You need a reboot after rename the suspicious .cpl to something else for the icon to disappear.

But, if you are actually on winME, then you have to do it in safe mode. (You cannot rename controlled files in normal mode, system will restore a fresh copy of it practically rightaway.)

regards - tsuji

Firstly - easy does it lordoftherings123, as Marcs41 says, we're not there, and we all know the frustrating feeling all too well....plus - an attitude will likely get no further replies.

Now;
go Start > Settings > Folder Options > View tab -- tick "Show All FIles" and unTick " Hide extensions for known file types" .

Search the REG for java or Sun etc

Check IE properties > Advanced Tab > Java area - there's 3 check boxes...untick the Java Console and Compiler...and if only using the Sun version..untick Logging too...so all three are clear.

Did you uninstall Java 1.3 first??? before installing 1.4?
Do you have Custom Java Settings in IE from a "Ticked" IE Properties > Security Tab > Custom > Java Permissions > Custom?
Use IE at all?

The .cpl file is somewhere on the HDD and usually not in the REG, and likely in the \SYSTEM folder. A *.cpl search on C:\ should find it, as well as all your Control Panel Applets.

My Control.ini reference before, is usually the culprit in a reverse situation (I posted before seeing your Java reference).

TweakUI will hide it from site, if that's what's bothering you (it's a great little tool, I use it)..D/l the deBUGGED version (Orig 98 CDROM ver has some bugs).

We do have a Java forum here at Tek-Tips too,
and SUN's site should have some info, especially since you installed the whole JDK (which includes all the tools). Only the Runtime Library is necessary for operation.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

read the post please

Marc
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back