Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove a physical drive from a RAID-5 array

Status
Not open for further replies.

okorsal

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2003
CA
I have a lot of space on my server and I would like to get rid of one hard drive.

configuration:

Compaq Proliant ML370 G2 server
1 SCSI Array in a RAID-5 configuration
4 physical hard drives

Solution (Result):

1 SCSI Arrary RAID-5
3 Physical Hard Drives

I have the HP Arrary Configuration Utilty 7.40

you cant do it
or not easily anyway
you will not have enough bays either to replica the array to a smaller array
as you can only do this with a fully functional array
your array would have to be degraded to allow you to add another 3 disks to replicate

you would have to backup and restore or replica to another server.
also this will be iffy as if you only have 1 array 5 in server then i assume you os and data is on it rather than split

I agree with Terry, backup and restore is the only way to go... you cannot remove a disk from a previously configured array and regain full functionality. If you remove a disk now, your RAID5 will work in interim mode (will function as if a disk has failed), however should one of the 3 remaining disks fail, your server will be broke beyond repair and cease to be :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back