Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To Remove A Downloaded Microsoft HP Scanjet Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourls

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
US
Hi:

Please read carefully. This is not a routine problem.

A few months ago after I upgraded to Windows XP, my HP Scanjet 3300CSE scanner was not compatible. HP did not issue the new driver for several weeks. Finally, it came,
but for some reason after I downloaded and installed it, my scanner still did not work. Then, I happened to notice an HPScanjet driver in Microsoft Windows Update. I thought it would solve my problem. I downloaded and installed it. BIG MISTAKE. (It is like fly paper.).

After considerable trial and error, I discovered that the HP Scanjet driver from HP is a good driver, one that works--when I can get it past the Microsoft HP Scanjet driver.

I do not know the Windows XP code well enough to use a Debug or other program to delete this driver.

Unless you know a special method to delete it, just pass up this post. Uninstall,outright delete does not work. After each boot, this driver is restored.

Here how I have found to make my scanner work:
From a boot, I Unistall the Imaging Devices driver.
Then, I re-boot.
The system detects the scanner and reloads the Microsoft HP Scanjet driver(which will not work).
Then, I update the Imaging Devices driver(because both drivers are stored in the system) manually, ignoring all "help" from the system.
I find the HP Scanjet driver in the list of the two drivers and select the HP Scanjet driver for the update.
That does it.

I can tell that the scanner will work, if I do not receive a message to Restart the system. If I see the message to Restart the system, I screwed up somewhere and must begin anew.

Any ideas?

Fourls

On the properties tab for your scanner there should be a button that allows you to rol back the driver. If you just want to get the MS driver off your computer, you can install it. Check what the filename is under the drivers tab in properties for the scanner. Roll back the driver to the HP driver and then delete the MS driver.
It doesn't really hurt to have it sitting on your hard drive though, if you are not using it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back