Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to: Remote desktop from LAN to analog line/modem/xppro

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings23

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
US
I'm curious if there is a method to remote desktop into a xp pro computer on a completely different LAN that is hooked with a modem and analog phone line with number? The computer I would be doing the support from would be on a high speed access (DSL, Cable, Verizon, Wireless, etc)

I'm wanting to set up this comptuer as a backdoor method to access a network I built in case the internet goes down and I'm not available to go there physically to fix. With the interntal XP Pro computer hooked up with modem and phone line, I should still be able to access the network and ASA to make changes and diagnosis what the problem is.

Can this be done?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2 methods.
1. The host machine would have to be online through the modem as a dial-up internet connection. Then you can use the ISP assigned IP to connect to it.

2. If the machine from which you are connecting also has a modem you can create a dial-up connection to the host machine and then initiate an RDP session through the dial-up connection.

You can't however connect magically from high speed LAN to modem.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back