Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to relate a partition of my hard to my domain name !

Status
Not open for further replies.

khashyar7

Technical User
Aug 11, 2004
CA
Hi,

Does anybody know how I can access my hard drive over the net using my domain address rather than the name of the computer followed by the name of the drive !?

This way, I can give that address to programs on my laptop -let's say- and they will be able to automatically access the drive for store or retrive data even if the laptop not in the range of my wireless router...

Please lemme know if you know how to do this...

Thanks,

Kash

You'd need to be running a web server or possibly an ftp server. But what you're proposing does not sound like a good/safe/secure idea.

I have both an ftp server and a web server (for remote access only). The one that seems closer to my idea is an ftp server, but for that you have to login everytime and you can not map the address of the ftp drive to a windows drive on the laptop without always having to login...can u !?

Before we discuss how to access an ftp server without logging on, I have to ask some questions and get some clarification...

Are you talking about accessing some shared drive over the internet? Without some method of authentication (such as username & password), how do you intend to prevent anyone from using this ftp server for their own evil intentions?

And I'm not sure what you mean by:
....even if the laptop not in the range of my wireless router
If you're not in range of the router, I assume that you won't have any connectivity at all - or am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back