Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to reinstall XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

vic414

Technical User
Nov 17, 2002
US
I was wondering how I can reinstall XP and delete all the files that I installed. After installing Norton Anti-virus and the firewall my computer started to run very slow or crashes. Sometimes when I click on something it takes 10 seconds before it response. I have a 1.7GHZ Mobile Pentium 4 with 512mb ram. Just would like to start everything over with a clean start. Thanks.

Pop in the Windows XP disk.

Reboot your computer.

Go into your BIOS and change the boot sequence so the CD-Rom is first.

Format your C: drive and reinstall Windows XP. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

How do you reformat the drive?

The XP install process lets you do that - when it asks you where you want to install - choose to delete existing partition then create new one & it will format it as FAT32 or NTFS on your choice. Before this, if it detects existing installation it will ask if you want to repair it - don't take this option if you want clean install.

PS. Backup any existing data you want to save before you do any of this - it will all be gone afterwards.

This is a good example of creating at least one extra partition [ has WELL known and relied upon product(s)] on your drive in which to backup your critical files ie: pertinent data/links/documents/etc so as when it comes time to "Format C:" your not left empty handed or needing to do a lengthy process of backing up all your critical files elsewhere.

Also, if your like most, crossing your fingers as your insert your CD/DVD-R/RW media hoping your not going to be creating an excise of frisbie/coasters =)

Though creating and saving the last few backups to another partition is a good idea..

..dont slack on backing this data up to CD as well =)

I was wondering if you have reinstalled XP yet, but if you didn't, you could do a system restore back to the first day you installed XP the first time. I use it alot and it actually goes back in time. If you reinstall XP you might have to call Microsoft to activate it. I had too, it won't activate a license the second time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back