Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to reinstall / repair Windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosti

Programmer
Mar 5, 2002
US
I think I have a virus/trojan on my Windows XP PC. Mashine runs very slow, and processor usage is 100% (even in case if I am not running anything! What would be the best way to get rid of it? Thanks in advance!

Run two things:

SpyBot:
An on-line virus scan:
Check your Event logs to see if there is any persistant problem area. Start, Run, eventvwr.msc

The instructions to do an in-place install of XP:
Remember you lose your SP1 and hotfixes from Windows Update when you do the re-install, so spend some time at the Windows Update when you are finished.

If you think you have a virus you should download a virus removal program (or buy one such as Notron Antivirus) and scan your system.
If your system runs too slowly for you to even scan it, you can always do it in safe mode by hitting (by default) F8 right before it comes up with the splash screen for windows (the now loading windows XP screen) and then selecting Safe Mode.
This only starts up the required services.

Thanks a lot! I will try your suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back