Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to refresh software updates database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grrrowler

MIS
Mar 12, 2002
US
I've had SMS 2003 running for a while on my ~175 workstations. These workstations started out with Win2K Pro and were upgraded to XP Pro last summer. The problem I'm running into comes up when I do software updates through SMS. Since most of the clients retained their same computer name, SMS is thinking that they are still needing patches that they don't need. It looks like the database is linking the machine name with previous patch scans and reporting that machines are missing certain updates. I've done reports on specific updates that are supposedly requested to find that no current machine is actually requesting that update. The upshot is that I have dozens of updates to dig through when I build the package that aren't needed, but no easy way to tell which ones are legit and which ones aren't. The update packages end up being very large, and I'm never fully patched, even though I might be.

is there a way to break the relationships between the workstations that used to have Win2K and the updates they no longer need? I don't know if I can simply reset the patch database to start fresh with my current config to build a legitimate list of patches and machines that need them. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

- Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back