Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To Recover SQL Express 2005 Dropped Tables With No Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTops

MIS
Sep 13, 2004
US
I have a SQL Express 2005 production database that has never been backed up. A user accidentally deleted several key tables. Is there any tool like APEXSql that can recover the tables and all data? The trial version of APEXSql only recovers every 10th row. The license for APEXSql is very expensive. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
T-Tops

Without backups you're going to have quite a bit of difficulty. I'd start with any DEV/TEST environments.

BTW, "users" shouldn't have create/alter/drop object permissions, for this very reason. DEVs shouldn't have this access in PROD.

Lodlaiden (BTW, I'm a dev, and I don't EVER want PROD create/alter/drop access)

You've got questions and source code. We want both!
There's a whole lot of Irish in that one.

Qik3Coder,
Thanks for the response, but we figured out a solution for this one. We did have a full backup from about a year ago. I made a new blank test database. I restored the year old backup into this test db with the "RESTORE WITH NORECOVERY" option. We then did a transaction log backup from the damaged production database. Then we restored the transaction log from this damaged production db to the test db and presto...we had our data back. You are correct about the user rights though...this should have never been allowed to happen.

Thanks,
T-Tops

Most importantly here...Get those backups going! This should be your number one priority now that you recovered the missing stuff.

If your database is in Full recovery mode don't forget to set up transaction log backups.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Yes sir Mr. SQLBill!

We have regularly scheduled backups in place already. This SQL Express was placed on a client machine for performance reasons and somehow got over looked by our network admin backup team, probably because this was supposed to be a temporary solution. Thanks for your input everyone.

Thanks,
T-Tops

Nothing is ever temporary.[smile]

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back