Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to reclaim unallocated space on hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

MachineBoy

Programmer
Feb 18, 2002
US
How do I reclaim unallocated space on my hard drive? The version of Partition Magic that I have does not work with Windows ME?

how come you got unallocated space? you can use fdisk to create an extended partition & then create drives in that partition.

I am sorry - I am not following. When I use FDISK it shows less space on my hard drive - about 1300 MB's if I remember - than I actually have. I wanted to reclaim all the space on my hard drive and have the total under C:\

No, I'm not following either. What makes you think you have 'unallocated space'? What size is your hard drive? What size is your ME partition? If you run Fdisk, does it say there is any room to create further partitions? - and if so, how much? Remember, different processes use different definitions of what a gigabyte is - from 1,000,000,000 bytes to 1,073,741,824 (1024 cubed) bytes - so comparing figures from different sources can give apparent inconsistencies.

If you really do have unallocated space on the drive and you want to merge it with existing partition, you'll need something like Partition Magic to do this without starting from scratch (ie, windows does NOT have tools to merge partitions or add unallocated space to existing partition).

Thank you for the reply. I think that you are correct in that I need to use Partition Magic - my version (5.0) says that it will not run correctly on my PC , some changes that I make will not take after I reboot the machine - it may have a problem with the version of Windows that I am using (Windows ME). I will fire off an email to Partition Magic support to see if this is the case - I guess the worst scenario is that I will have to shell out 69.95 for an upgrade of Partition Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back