Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to reboot 2003 cluster with SQL 2000 cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

afouldsy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2003
GB
Is there a special step by step procedure to follow when rebooting a Windows 2003 Cluster server (Active/Passive) with SQL 2000 cluster server running and the databases stored a SAN device?

Not really. If you are doing a manual reboot of the cluster, reboot the passive node. When it comes back up fail over to it, then reboot the second node.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

How do you do the failover? Is it an option in cluster administrator?

Yeah, in the cluster admin window, you should be able to right click on the MS SQL Resource. There should be an option for fail over.

Denny

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Is this just to failover the SQL or the MS cluster, do you have to do SQL first then MS Windows failover? Or does cluster admin control both?

I'm not sure what you mean by the MS Windows failover. But if you mean the virtual name on the network, then yes the cluster admin controls that as well.

Denny

[noevil]
(My very old site)

We are running Windows 2003 Ent Ed with the OS clustered and then SQL DB's clustered over 2 nodes active/passive.
The quorum disk and disk groups are all on the SAN device?

With my limited knowledge which is poor I am trying to work out if this is separate or not. When you build a server you set-up cluster in MS windows 2003 and then install SQL with clustering?

This is something very new to me as unfortunately our cluster tech is no longer with us. So I am wondering if there is a different process for a SQL cluster or OS cluster set-up or if they are controlled together through cluster admin? If you failover does it failover everything including the DB's etc, what is the effect on users, should you backup first? That sort of thing.

Say we had a server without SQL installed is the reboot process the same? Not sure if I am being clear.

Yeah the reboot process should be the same.

In the cluster admin window you should see the SQL Server, the Agent, the disks, etc. They should all be tied together. If you fail over any one resource (sql, agent, disks, etc) they will all fail over in the correct order.

You shouldn't need to do a backup specifically because of the reboot, however you should be doing regular backups.

Denny

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back