Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to reach net beyond the endpoint of BEFVP41 tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtnpsi

Programmer
Sep 18, 2002
US
I have a pair of Linksys BEFVP41's. One is 192.168.1.1 the other is 192.168.2.1. I've been able to establish a tunnel.

My general question is "how do I configure them to route traffic "beyond" their endpoints (their local/remote secure groups?"

Here's the end-to-end "hops" from my home net (10.3/16) to the office (10.0/16):

1) 10.3/16 net (home Class B)

2) router1 (needed because home net is Class B and Linksys doesn't support - boo!)

3) 192.168.1/24 net

4) home BEFVP41 (LAN addr 192.168.1.1)

5) cable modem

6) Internet

7) T1

8) router2

9) 206.109.149.192/28 net

10) office BEFVP41 (LAN addr 192.168.2.1)

11) 192.168.2/24 net

12) router3 (again, needed to connect Class B office to Class C Linksys)

13) 10.0/16 (office Class B)

I have the VP41's each configured with their own LAN side (192.169.1 and .2 respectively) as their local secure group, and their partner's LAN side as their remote secure group.

I can ping from the home LAN (10.0) to the LAN side of the office VP41, but can't ping beyond the office VP41.

I called Linksys tech support and they're fairly useless (they said they don't support anything related to the Advanced tab!).

So, do I just need a static route definition or are my local/remote secure groups inappropriate for what I'm trying to do? And just what exactly does the local/remote security group actually define?

Thanks!

David Thom

I suspect something with the additional routers. We have a permanent tunnel to our corporate office with addresses of 192.168.103.0 on our side and 192.168.0.0 on the remote side. We can access machines on both sides fine... Thanks,

Matt Wray

If you are still having a problem, here is a great little tidbit I picked up in these forums. I, too have a pair of VP41's and I could establish a tunnel, no problem, then what. I could not see anything in either direction. After searching through answers in a bunch of threads here, I came across this. Make the default gateway of the server or box that you want to ping, look at, access, or whatever have its default gateway set to point at the linksys box. Once I did that change on a couple of units here at work, I could see everything I needed to see. And all of a sudden the computer from the other side of the tunnel started showing up in Network Neighborhood.
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back