Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to query database created by sqlserver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xq

Programmer
Jun 26, 2002
NL
i have connected the database which is created by sql server, and problem is i don't know how to excute sql and retrieve result from it, this code doesn't work, something wrong with recordset, what should i do? thanks a lot for any help!

Sub QueryFN()

Dim X As String
Dim dealsConnection As Connection
Dim rs As Recordset

X = "ODBC;filedsn=c:\Program Files\Common Files\ODBC\Data Sources\QuantumIreland;DBQ=QuantumIreland;DSN=deals;UId=sa;PWD=sa"
Set dealsConnection = _
wrkODBC.OpenConnection("deals", , False, X)

Dim SQLStmt As String
SQLStmt = " ... "

Set rs = dealsConnection.OpenRecordset(SQLStmt, dbOpenSnapshot)

With ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")
With .Cells(2, 1)
.CurrentRegion.Clear
numberOfRows.CopyFromRecordset (rs)
End With
End With

End Sub

Use the ADODB Reference (Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects X.X Library) in VB. Also, you must set up your ODBC connection on the client. Then try the following code:

Dim cn as ADODB.Connection
Dim rs as ADODB.Recordset

Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset

cn.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=sa;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Initial Catalog=QuantumIreland;Data Source=deals"
cn.Open

rs.Open "Select statement", cn, OpenDynamic

Or you could try MSQuery but I'm no expert in SQL. I do have another point tho which is that xq, I have noticed that you have asked a fair number of questions over the last week or more but you are still a visitor. You should really register, then you can thank people properly by awarding stars as well as being able to search the FAQs. There isn't really a downside to registering, you get 1 email per week which just provides updates and a link to your chosen forums.
Think about it
Rgds
Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back