Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to put VFP shortcuts in Win 7 Start menu? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

randymce

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2003
US
I've got multiple company-wide VFP apps that are located on network shares. To install the apps on users' desktops - in XP, I've made a start menu folder with shortcuts to each app in it, and it gets updated at each login on each desktop. This works great. Now, as we roll out Win 7 PC's - we find out start menu 'folders' are no longer an option (and we don't like the 3rd party replacements.) What's worse, is that we can't 'pin' the VFP apps to the start menu either... that works with local apps but not network ones. We have to use desktop shortcuts - which is not very elegant, or some other workarounds, which aren't much better. Has anyone found a way to deploy network VFP apps in Win 7 by using the Start Menu? (The last option I've considered is running a local stub VFP app that runs the network app. This seems like a cheap cheat... but may be our best option if nobody here has a better idea!)

Well I have not run into this situation, but just wondering instead of a local VFP app (Where you would have to load the runtime files on the machine. ) Why not create the 'kick-start' app in something like .net etc. All it is doing is starting a VFP EXE right? OK a bit Kludgy.

Lion Crest Software Services
Anthony L. Testi
President

Unfortunately, like MrDataGuy above, I also have not run into your issue.

But, regardless of your OS, I'd recommend launching your server application from a local Application Launcher (a good one to look at is: faq184-4492).

There are a couple of reasons that this works well, as my clients can attest.
1. When updates are needed, the launcher will see the new date on the EXE and replace the old one automatically.
2. If you are developing locally, you will not need to get all of the users out of the app, just to re-compile it.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Check out the Win7TLib project at VFPX. It's a VFP wrapper for Windows 7 Taskbar functionality, and gives you the ability to do all those Windows 7 kinds of things with your app.

Tamar

Thanks for the comments!

MrDataGuy: We already load all the runtime files on the local drives to improve performance for the apps themselves, which would offset the gain we'd make by making a C#, .NET, etc. stub (aka launcher) rather than using VFP. But it's good to keep in mind.

jrbbldr: This is the 'stub' solution we'll need to use if we can't come up with something better. The advantage for making updates is nice - although the changes typically happen in the evenings, so its a minor advantage. Waiting to copy an app to the share until 6pm is pretty easy as long as its not a critical update. But - good to keep in mind.

TamarGranor: I looked at the Win7TLib project. Looks very cool - but doesn't seem quite finished yet. Thanks for pointing it out.

Randymce,
what kind of performance improvement do you see with having the runtime files local? Years ago I did some testing and found the performance to be very little/none so my S.O.P. is not to have local copies. I may need to update my knowledge if with modern hardware that is not true anymore. (Also only one EXE exists on the server in the setup I am describing, maybe that differs from your setup??)

Oh! Wait a sec the apps that I am thinking of have a Client/Server architecture where most of the heavy lifting is done on the server app anyhow, so there really most likely is an apple to orange comparison.

Lion Crest Software Services
Anthony L. Testi
President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back