Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to put a message on a remote queue using the windows mq snap-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

gertvangaever

Technical User
Apr 3, 2002
BE
I have a Win2000 workstation here, with the mq snap-in installed. There is no queue manager installed on my system.
My username is in the 'mqm' group of all queue managers we have here, so I can do what I want with them!

I'd like to put a test message on a send queue of a queue manager. When I right-click on a local queue of a queue manager, I can 'put a test message'. I'd like to do the same with a remote queue, but that doesn't seem possible!

Any solutions?
Because we have a rather strict environment, I can't
- install a Qmgr on my system
- take over the servers on which the queue managers reside

Tnx!!

OK I found it...

in dos window:
SET MQSERVER=<server connection channel>/TCP/<hostname>
amsputc <queue> [<queue manager if not default>]

Gert

As Gert said, you can always set your MQSERVER variable and use amqsputc. You can also use a tool called MQJExplorer available at
It has most of the functionality of MQExplorer, written in Java (which means you can run this GUI on Unix too!), and, what I think you'd be most interested in, you can right-click a queue - even a remote queue, and select &quot;Advanced Put Message&quot;. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by all the advanced options.

I've used this to stress-test before by telling the advanced put to put 100,000 messages of a certain size on a queue, and at the same time, use another function - consume messages - to offload the queue at a rate I specified.

If you spend a lot of time admin-ing MQ, then I think you'll find 1001 uses for this tool. I know I have!

-Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back