Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Purge file on a Volume???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIPIL

MIS
Jul 15, 2003
US
I have a Netware 5.1 sp4 volume(NSS volume) size is 137gb using raid 5
users were complaining that when they try to save to that volume get the error that there is no free space on the drive,using windows explorer I go to that specific volume right click and go to Netware Volume statistic and the following shows

total space 137gb
free space...3gb
Purgeable Space....14gb
used space......119gb
Now when I open that volume using Windows Explorer on the left side pane of the windows it shows on the pie space indicator that 114 gb are used and 16.8gb are free but if you see the results above the free space shown on the pie is the addition of the purgeable space and the real free space. my question is? how can I get rid of the purgeable space i tried windows explorer purgeable tools but I cannot find files to purgeable...what am I doing wrong?
I really need to gain this space.

thanks.

Hi.
At the DOS prompt you can type "PURGE /A" at root. All previously deleted files at subfolders will be permanently removed. You must have delete rights at root to do this.

Regards

Marcelo

You can also do this if you right-click on the volume object in Explorer as the purge command is also there

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Marcelo, thanks for replying me.
Forgive my litte experience on netware, but can you tell me the syntax/command to perform this? we have 8 Netware 5.1 servers.

thanks

TheLad,
Thats the problem,I right click on the volume object and go to the purge command and there is nothing to purge.

Are you purging sub-directories as well?

"It's true, its damn true!"

Yes, anything that seems to be purgeable need to be purged.

thanks.

Pipil,
Just map your volume roots to local drives. At the DOS prompt it´s something like MAP DRIVE:=SERVERNAME\VOLUMENAME:\ (here I use MAP G:=SI\DATA:\, for example).

Still at the DOS prompt go to the mapped drive and type the purge command, like below:
C:\>G: <enter>
G:\>PURGE /A <enter>

With this all deleted files under the mapped volume will be purged. But remember you must have delete rights to the volume root. If you are not sure about this login as ADMIN. You will have to repeat this to each servers volumes.

Regards,
Marcelo

Thanks a lot Marcelo I will try that.

thanks.

I like to use the TOOLBOX.NLM utility and just purge from the server. Lots faster. downloadable from Novell.

PURGE SYS: /a
PURGE VOl1: /a

etc..

You can also setup cronjobs to do it for you.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Marvin,
does this tool works on 5.1 sp4?
seems that is just compatible up to 4.11.

thanks.

You must have got the wrong version. There was one that worked on 4.11, sort of, but it had some wierd quirks. I use it on every server I ever touch, yes even up to NetWare 6.5. I've never had a problem with it.

Just do a search on novell's site for TOOLBOX.NLM and it should bring up the most recent one.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Marvin,
Seems that work on regular volumes, but no in NSS volumes
I run it on a NSS volume and runs for 3 mins and then says 0 files deleted...any Ideas?

thanks.

Novell say that if you cannot purge an NSS volume, there may be corruption on it. They suggest running an NSS /REBUILD on the volume but I would suggest this be done as a last resort as your answer is probably simpler than this:

&quot;It's true, its damn true!&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back