Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to publish Exch2010 on alternate IP for testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

techseek

MIS
Nov 5, 2010
US
Hello
I hate to beat a dead horse but...
I am getting closer to moving mailboxes etc and I would like to be clear on what I need to do.
ShackDaddy (on another thread) stated he tests by "publishing on an alternate IP...and then using a hosts file on an external pc/notebook....
I am thinking this means adding an MX record to point to new server (my MX record currently shows 4 of postinis servers)?
and I do not truly understand how I could test my ssl

I appreciate any help
Thx

Create a new firewall rule that points a new public IP to your new server's internal IP. Then forward the proper ports.

You should be able to use to get the new server's OWA page, although with a security warning since the cert name doesn't match.

Now on a client that's outside the network (your laptop at home, etc) configure a local host file entry that maps the public name (whatever's on your cert) to the new IP. Do an IPCONFIG /flushdns after you save the host file.

Now you should be able to test OWA and Outlook Anywhere from that laptop and ensure that things will work properly from the outside without having to take your normal production server offline. Remember that you are testing on the new server with an account/mailbox that you've already moved over to the new server.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back