Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to programmatically create this vector shape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiggingOut

Programmer
Jul 2, 2010
CA
I have a cardboard cut-out of something I want to create.

I've taken a picture and made a vector outline that I'm satisfied with.

Now to get those holes, there's a variety of ways to do it... but I want accuracy, so does anyone have a suggestion how to pull it off?

Methods to achieve the evenly spaced holes inside the piece?
1 - SLOPPY - Draw each segment by hand, using photo as a background reference.
2 - SLOPPY - Draw a rounded corner rectangle then duplicate/scale/edit it for each segment.
3 - SLOPPY - Bring prepared photo in and use Illustrator's LiveTrace feature to convert the shapes into vector. I tried, with variations. Have to tweak each individual segment after.
4 - PREFERRED - Somehow tell the computer to generate X number of objects along Y path, making them smaller and smaller.

Method 4 can be done in a number of ways...
4a-Make a rounded corner rectangle, duplicate it off in a straight row, group them together, then use something like Warp.
4b-Make a rounded corner rectangle, duplicate it off in a straight row, group the together, then use 3d extrude & rotate and extract the results.
4c-Make a rounded corner rectangle, use Transform and replicate it X times and adjust horizontal/vertical positioning and scale.

I like 4c but still not close. How can I restrict it to be along a pre-determined path (an arc)? Like text-on-path tool, but with shapes, and scaling down progressively like a warp.

Anyone have any advice?

I need/want precision because this is a part that will be cut out of a CNC machine for something that'll be at a tradeshow.

...judging by eye the holes don't all look evenly spaced to me, neither are the holes appearing to simply be scaled down versions of a master copy...

...if the holes have to be exact then you will likely struggle to be honest unless you can get access to the vector that made the die cut tool of this piece of card...

...without access to that your only real choice for "near" accuracy will be to accurate scan on a flatbed scanner and trace in my view...

andrew

============
============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back