Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to programmatically access mapped drive thru Remote Desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFarley

Programmer
May 22, 2008
US
The problem being encountered occurs in programming, but the base issue is strictly at the server level, so that's where I'm going to start searching :)

We've got a routine that requires users to log into Remote Desktop, and then copy a file from a local drive on their PC to a folder on the remote server.

Ideally I'd like to be able to programmatically pull the data over from the user's PC, or a shared network drive that is mapped on the user's PC (drive S: for instance). However, neither the drive nor the file is not visible to any commands.

Example: using a directory command in VBA or T-SQL results in the folder not being located, when using mapped drive letter or UNC.

However, I can browse the local drives (including mapped network drives) that are exposed after logging into Remote Desktop.

Complicating factor: For security, the server on which Remote Desktop resides and the network in general are separated & cannot communicate directly. Otherwise there's way more efficient methods we already would have implemented :)

Is there any way to avoid doing a Windows Explorer copy/paste to get this file out to the remote server?

Thanks in advance.

Bryant Farley
EG&G Technical Services

How about using FTP instead. You could script that and schedule it too.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

What I did to make it work:

I opened a DOS prompt on the remote server and typed in 'net use.' It listed the S: drive from my local machine as \\TSCLIENT\S.

So I was able to add a command in VBA to copy the file from \\TSCLIENT\S.

Bryant Farley
EG&G Technical Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back