Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to process a cube from T-SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanoordt

Instructor
Aug 19, 2000
NL
Hello!

I wonder how I can process an OLAP cube from T-SQL. You would expect there to be either some predefined (extended) stored procedures, or at least command line calls that can be used within xp_cmdshell. I can find neither in BOL. Anybody knows how to do this?

Currently I am calling dtsrun from xp_cmdshell, but I would like to skip the DTS packages and do everything with a single generic procedure.

Thanks for your comments! regards,
Paul

Hi,

I am not sure I understood you currently. What are the kind of OLAP tool you are using? If it is Cognos then I may help you out.

Vish

Microsoft Analysis Services

regards,
Paul

Not really an answer but maybe a workaround...

There's an add-in for VB6 that allows you to write an app that processes your cubes. You could customise this to process whatever cube is specified in the command line and then call it in the same manner.

Of course if you're having to do this then you might as well use DTS... ah well.

Mike

This might be an answer... If it can be done from VB, it can probably be done from other languages as well. Still it will be a lot more complicated that the few-parameter call I had in mind.
Thanks.

regards,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back