Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to print a screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim7

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2002
GB
At work I have a variety of operating systems (xp,w2000,w98)and would like to be able to print off an image of the screen showing different application screenshots. Could anyone tell me how i go about it as printscreen key does nothing.
tim7

Alt + PrintScreen - it will copy to the clipboard
and past in the any document

Alt + printscreen will copy to the clipboard the contents of the current screen. Ctrl + Printscreen will copy to the clipboard the entire screen.

Then paste to a text file.

Alt+Printscreen only captures the current in Focus window.
Printscreen captures the entire display.

In both cases it is copied to the clipboard. Open Paint or similar program and hit Ctrl-V

You cannot copy to a notepad session. In some circumstances you can use Wordpad, but it is not recommended either.

In all cases it is recommended that you paste into Paint or another Graphics programs capable of native support for .BMP files.

Or you can download the freeware tool "PrintKey2000". This freeware tool is just great for making screen shots. You will find this tool here:

WEB Designer & WEB Developer (as per my working contract) and

Lupos.jpg

Lupo,

Nice find. I will add this to my list along with the Gadwin PrintKey freeware as excellent programs to use to handle the printscreen issue.

Very nice find.
Bill

@Bill

Your welcome... or as we say "Service"! "Gadwin PrintKey" will be checked asap (means during christmas holiday).

rgds
Dani

WEB Designer & WEB Developer (as per my working contract) and

Lupos.jpg

I'm adding to this old thread hoping someone will still see it: I want to capture just the window that has the focus, not the whole screen. Downloaded PrintKey 2000, but it gets the active window + a big white space the size of the rest of the screen, no good.
bcastner wrote:
"Alt+Printscreen only captures the current in Focus window.
Printscreen captures the entire display."
However all these keys on my PC capture the whole screen:
Alt+Printscreen
Shift+Printscreen
Control+Printscreen
Printscreen

I have seen Alt+Printscreen work the way bcastner describes it, but my pc won't. Is there another setting that controls how these are copied?
Thanks!

The world is full of good people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back