Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to prevent user from using MSN messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

mani123

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2000
BH
In my office, we are using one PC for internet access.
PC has windows 95 operating system and modem to connect to ISP.Most of them in my office are using MSN messenger to chat. I don't want to uninstall the MSN messanger from the internet PC. is there any way i can stop the user from using messenger to chat ?(like stopping particular port..)

This isn't much of a solution but, aside from buying a software package designed to prevent access to certain applications, you may not find a more foolproof method.

I had no way to test this on my morning machine but you might want to look into it. If this works at all it should work like a champ. Run regedit on the computers you want to restrict. Navigate to the [tt]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace[/tt] key and click each of the GUID values until you find the one referencing MSN Messenger in the pane to the right. When you find the value, delete it.

Like I said, not much of a solution... you might not even find the values you seek. Deleting registry keys has never been my favorite user management tactic, especially when it involves guess-work.

Hmmm, doesn't MSN provide "parental" control features that allow you to prevent access to messenger?
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

hi alt255, there was no GUID value for MSN messenger.

Hi,

A bit much of overkill here, but the only really effective method I have encountered is to install a proxy server, that has stopped the use of MSN messenger total at my office, apart from the other benefits of faster web access, and caching of webpages, oh and of course the big brother factor..!!!! :)

Paul

Paulovey has a point. It might not be so easy but the long-term benefits might outweight the short-term hassles. (Also, check the parental controls to make sure there isn't a really easy way to accomplish this task.)

The Microsoft site mentions that there are ways to control MSN Messenger through registry settings but I didn't see a listing of specific settings. If you are net admin, try the resources at
It might be possible to set up a filter to prevent access for individual users.

You might want to post this question in the Tek-Tips Remote Access forum. You could stir up some knowledge that might not reveal itself here.

Good luck!
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back