Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to prevent files for being deleted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcanon

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
CO
I have developed an application that give some king of security in a computer, but of course if the program or databases are deleted the system won't work...

The program must run in the PC so I can't put program / data in a network or use sql.

I have looking for this code or third party component but I haven't found much, and what I found it's very expensive (At least for me).

I know there are very good programs that can do exactly that (and they are cheap) but I want to integrate the protection in my aplication...

Anyone knows how to prevent deletion of files or a cheap component?

Thanks in advance...

Pdta (I think I can use components designed for other languages like basic, c or delphi)

You can hide them, make them read only, keep them on a CD, back them up and restore them as needed, store them on a hidden and password protected partition....

What were you thinking of?

Brian

view or delete a hide /read only file is SO easy using explorer...

is the program is in a CD it could be removed...

if I made a backup I will have to restore (a lot of) computers almost every day...

on the other hand, how must I Use password protected partitions? the aplication must be working so usually the user has access to the files too (it's the main problem...). Also I forgot to mention the aplication should works in win 95/98/nt/2000/xp

sorry if my problem sounds silly to you but it's really important to me...

See this recent thread for more info:

how to effectively hide table from users
thread184-685479

Brian

HI

You are talking about lot of computers.
Are they networked?
Is the application data common and shared ?
Depending on these, the solution will differ.

In any environment, the solutions are very difficult to protect against sabotage.

In single user applications and networked, cost effective easy solution can be given to protect against accidents.

If the network is in place, yoo can make a startup routine of your application to do the following..
a. Auto connect to a network place of the users .. or to a specific network backup vault share.. and then before running the data files, make a zip backup or a CAB backup in the network area, disconnect that. and then proceed with the application. SO the maximum penalty for a damage is the current session data loss.
b. Make sure the back ups are named differently each time.
User+Date+Time component as the backup name.
c. Auto delete earlier backups which are older than 7 days.. 15 days.. 30 days.. whatever.. based on certain dates calling (some method to cleanup)
d. Make sure you do a CD burning from server backup area to protect all users data, before the auto clean up as in (c) takes place.

If it is a shared application..
Schedule the backup to midnight or such convenient time when no users will be there.. or.. look in FAQ section (I have done a FAQ on how to force users shut their application).. and carry out an auto backup as in the single user case.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back