Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to pre-set Citrix user's default printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReK410

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2003
US
I've been struggling with this for a couple of months and it's really a pain! All articles I find have to do with mapping local printers, or session-created printers... I've had plenty of Citrix KB articles sent to me but they don't fit my scenario....

Our network printers are installed on the citrix server directly.

My users DO NOT use their local printers over Citrix
My users DO NOT map their workstation's printers to the Citrix Sesssion
My users ONLY use the printers installed directly on the citrix server

(this is all due to limitations of a certain application that we run)

Anyway, my problem is that when we buy a new printer I have to give the users access to Citrix Desktop, have them sign into the Desktop and set their default printer via the START --> PRINTERS & FAXES window. This is the only way I've been able to setup a default printer under their profiles.

How can I set the printers up for the users without having to give them Citrix Desktop access? Is there a registry setting to change in each profile? Is there a script I can run?

How do you guys do it?

Take a look at this link. Among other things we have this set up for our users to be able to change a default or what not.

It involves publishing a "Printers Folder"

Each user can see all printers on the server and do as they want.
The problem is that in a multiserver environment they will have to do it for each server. I have folders published for each server.

If you are interested in this i can dig up my notes and send them on.

Sure, I'd love to take a look at what you have. I'm not sure how to publish the printers themselves but it sounds like it could work!

Alturnativly, you could....

Log directly onto the server as a vanilla user, set-up the printer etc. Logoff, and then copy all files from that users profile and copy it to the Default user profile. Delete the user profiles from the server, then when they get recreated when the user logs on they'll pick up the settings.

Or

Publish wordpad\notepad on each server and get them to Print, and then modify the printer settings from there.

Thanks everyone for the great advise! I've decided to go with the Publish Printer Folder method since it empowers the users and saves me the admin time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back