Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to point Crystal Report *.rpt at production database instead of test database

Status
Not open for further replies.

capronton

MIS
Jun 28, 2013
US
I would like my Crystal Report to point at the Production Database rather than the Test Database. Is there an easy way to do this without redeveloping the entire report?

Thanks.
-Ron

Some of this depends on how you're delivering the report.

The easiest way to do this is to go to the Database menu and select "Set Location". You then connect to both the dev and production databases and "update" the dev tables to point to the production tables. If you have any subreports, do the main report first and then check the subreports - sometimes that automatically update based on the main report and sometimes they don't. If they don't, do Set Location again for the subreport.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Thanks Dell. I get the error below when I "set Datasource Location and click update. Can you explain?

Database Connection Error: 42SO2' [Microsoft] [ODBC SQL SERVER] Invalid Object Name - Database Vender Code 208'

Test DB is OLE DB (ADO)
Production DB is ODBC (RDO)

Does this make a difference?

That can make a difference. I would also do a Google search for the "208" error for MS SQL Server (this is a db error, not a Crystal error) and see what it means and what causes it. Also, if you're in Crystal 2011 or 2013, don't use the MS SQL Server ODBC driver that comes with Windows (called "SQL Server" with a version number of 6.x.) Instead, you need to install the SQL Server Client software (32-bit only - Crystal won't connect to 64-bit ODBC) and configure your ODBC connection using either "SQL Server Native Client 10.0" or "SQL Server Native Client 11.0".

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back