Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to play internet radio streams 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lennyh

Programmer
Sep 22, 2001
US
I'd like to be able to play streams provided by various internet radio sites.
But typically, when I try to do so, Konquerer (or Mozilla) asks me what
application I wish to use to play the associated file type (ASX, PLS, etc.).
Which Ark Linux application do I use to play these streams? And is there
anything special I need to do to make the appropriate associations or otherwise get this to work?

Thanks for any help

Lenny

Look into the Plugger plug-in from Mozilla project. It's function is to arbitrate extensions with installed apps. Get the RealPlayer linux edition installed on your system first, then you'll be able to play .pls files, which account for many radio streams I listen to.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

thedaver,

Thanks for your response.

Largely because of my minimal knowledge, I unfortunately was unable to d/l the Linux player. Indeed, I couldn't even tell which one was required.

Although I'm a competent Win user, I'm becoming incresingly convinced that desktop Linux has a way to go in the usability area. Lots of stuff works great, but getting the rest to work (at least for me) is a hassle.

Thanks again for your help.

Lenny

Check out XMMS at
It's been my favorite for years now. Handles Shoutcast/Icecast/whatevercast. I doubt that it handles Realmedia streams, but I could be wrong. Either way, it's free. You can't beat the price :)

----
JBR

Also, the (not directly linked from the site as far as I could tell) page to get to the Linux version download is:

Looks like it hasn't been updated in a long time, but it's there. Download the file (just go for the Linux 2.x glibc version), put it in /tmp, the do a /tmp/<whatever the filename is> to start the install.

----
JBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back