Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to plan out policy(schedules),stgunit,stggroup,pools etc ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bolobaboo

MIS
Aug 4, 2008
US
Hi
I am very new to NBU. Our enviornment has 300 intell and 100 unix system.We have 1 master ( sun t5120) for entire enviornment and 2 media ( sun x4500 disk storage) for lan based backup. one media server ( sun t5220 ) for SAN client for exchange and RMAN. One more media server ( sun t5220 ) for NDMP backup. We also have stk 8500 tape library.
Our plan is to have 45 days retention for all data and do increamental daiy and full on weekend. As of now we not planning for cloning ( VAULT ( offsite)). There is alos plan to migrate data if LAN media server ( x4500) fills to 80% to Tape library. NDMP and SAN client backup will go directly to 8500.
Now big question infront of me how do i plan for policy(what would be their schedule) , stgunit, stggroup, pools etc ? Is there any body can assists me in planning these ? I am looking for your expertise, don't want make mesh then rip apart in future and start all over again.
Thank you again.

First, figure out what your max capacity is with the existing hardware you have. Determine how much data you have to cover on a complete full backup. Then load balance your backup schedule to most efficiently use your drives, cpu's, tape slots, tape rotation schedule, data retenetion periods. It can be a massive challenge and it's going to take you some time. Map out the steps, get some competent help, and then start at the beginning until your done. Keep in mind that tape drive specs only reccommend certain hours of continuous use a day for your particular type of drive. You need to build at least 25% free capacity into your backup solution for casualties to the environment (like network outages, etc.) so you can absorb them without losing massive amounts of data. You need to get your hands around your projects teams so that anything they introduce to the environment also has each new server's storage capcity added to the backup capacity in the environment. If you let them chew up your marginal capacity you will sorely regret it. PM's don't like this as it adds greatly to their project's cost, but it is the reality in the world of disaster recovery. Tell them to suck it up and embrace it or be ok with having no recovery options. I can't emphasize enough that the backup solution has to keep pace with the growth of the environment. As for adding vaulting to your backups, plan on doubling your backup overhead. This has been my experience regardless of whatever salepeople advertise. If the business has the budget, explore virtual robots/tape drives and/or SAN disk cache with enough capacity to carry 2 week's worth of your daily backups retention periods so that you can write your primary copy to disk and duplicate over to tape. It is much more efficient write to tape once and offsite your data from there. Most restores are within a 2 week period anyway and you gain access to the data much more quickly. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back