Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to open .doc (MS WORD) file in the browser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhapsody

Programmer
Sep 27, 2002
PH
Hi! :)
I'd like to know how to open a MS word document in my browser using ASP. I don't want the File Download Window to show up anymore.
My web site is running in PWS (personal web server) but latter on will run in IIS.

To have the word document appearing directly in the browser is not possible from the from asp, as this is a rule based on the client settings only. It is done this way for security reasons. To do this manually, launch Windows Explorer, select Tools, Folder Options, the File types tab, select the DOC file type and click the Advanced button. Here you can Check/Uncheck the checkbox named "Browse in same window".

As for the save dialog, enabling/disabling this is done client side as well, also for security reasons. I do not remember which registry setting that does this.

Hope this helps,
Palooka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back