Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to open a sub-form elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tessai2003

Technical User
Oct 13, 2003
FR
Hello all,

I have a simple database with 1 main form (from the main table) and a few others that are linked with a relationship 1 (main table) to many (several others tables)

My problem is that if I want to put all the subforms on my main form it's not doable because I don't have enouh place on my desktop :)

So I was wondering if it was possible to open the sub-form from a button and make it appears in a new window ?

Thanks for your help !!

Stephane

Stephane

You can open a subform just like you open any other form -- the becareful / gotcha, is that adding a new record can be pretty dangerous if you do not have access to the foreign key. (Assuming a one-to-many relationship)

...make it appears in a new window

This is a beast of a different kind -- Access is requried to open up a form. So either...
- You start a another session of Access and open the form
- You make use of Windows XP multi-monitor feature to exapand the desktop.

I guess a third option would be to write an external program to display / capture the data and communicate with Access - a lot of work.

Alternate solutions...
- tab subform is pretty cool, and allow multiple pages / subforms to be attached to one main form. Perhaps the easiest solution.
- popup windows - have to make sure you have all required data to open the form
- "pages" - page down / up

The big "gotcha" on a shared database is assuming your screen size is the same as that will be used by others.

Lastly, review your screens -- What is needed, what is not? Where can you save real estate?

Richard

Hello Richard,

Actually I'm a bit a newbie in the Access world...

So the reason why I have choosen to add sub-forms in the main form is because it is the only way I have found to see the records of subform 1 linked to main form1 and if I make a second entry, only see the records of sub-form2 inked to main form2 ... and not see on main form1 the records of subform 1&2 for example...

If you see what I mean ?

Cheers,

Stephane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back