Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to move exchange server to new server with difference name

Status
Not open for further replies.

muitai

MIS
Nov 6, 2002
US
How do I move exchange server 5.5 is running on NT 4.0 to a new server with difference name on Windows 2000 Server?

Hi, I take it you mean just the WIN2k server name and not the Exhange org name or site name. Well first of all there are many ways, but I found the safest way would be to back a full backup of your exchange server to tape or copy somewhere, (MDBDATA, DSADATA, MTADATA folders), run Exchange optimizer and note down every location here. Take the old server off the network and remove the server name from the domain too. You need to then run up the Win2k server with the same way as your NT 4 server, so same partitions, server name and put the IP in to. Put Exchange in the same loctions basically, so if it was on the c: put in on the c: of the new server. When installing Exchange make sure you choose the same org name and site name, once Exchange is installed run optimizer again and move the databases to the same as the old server. Install SP4 for exchange, and check you can load Exchange Admin. Go to every mdbdata, dsadata and mta folder and create a backup folder and put the contents of those folders into each backup folder. Now copy or from backup put the files into the relevent folders. Once this is done start the services one by one. If you get an error like Event id 1011 when stating IMS then go to a command prompt and goto <drive>:\Exchsrvr\bin and run isinteg -patch and a success message sgould appear. Now try run it.

Hope this helps

ANdy

Why do not you install the second exchange server with different name to the same site. Then you can gradually move all user mailboxes and replicate publick folders. When replication is complete, remove old server from replica list. After that take a look at the procedure at MS web site: &quot;How to delete the first server in the site...&quot; - there are few other steps that you have to do before deleting old server.
Newer Outlook version should automatically change server name when you move users mailbox. We had a problem with few older clients that kept old server name in users profiles. As long as you keep old server all client are OK. So, we run a login script that changed server name. Make sure all client are change before deleting old server.

If you need more detailed information, let me know.

Right now the exchange server 5.5 is running on Windows NT PDC, we would like to setup another server with Windows 2000 member server, and move the exchange server 5.5 from the PDC to the new windows 2000 server. We can't take the PDC server offline and rename the PDC server. After we move the exchange server to the new server, it has to keep the differece server name. please give me some suggestions with our situation. Any advice, it will be appreciated.

Lets say, your PDC name is &quot;ServerA&quot;. You install new W2K server with another name - &quot;ServerB&quot;. You install second Exchange server on ServerB. Then you move mailboxes, publick folders, etc. (see above) from Exchange ServerA to Exchange ServerB. Then you shut down only Exchange on ServerA and keep PDC running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back