Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to move applications from old drive to new drive, same PC 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveoasis

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2004
US
How to move applications from old drive to new drive, same PC?

1. XP Service Pack 2 failed on HP Pavilion A300N Celeron
2. Old drive became corrupted
3. Client ordered replacement XP CD from HP
4. We will do full restore to a new bare metal drive.
5. We will copy all important files to parallel folders from old to new drive

6. Is there software (similar to Aloha Bob applications mover) that will copy software apps from old drive to new drive?

7. Aloha Bob moves apps from old PC to new PC, but not from a slave drive to a master drive within the same PC.

Thank you, Dave

If it were me, I'd reinstall the apps fresh and just move the data by copying or using the application backup function. I would do this only because I have had trouble in the past with some programs functioning properly after being moved by programs like Aloha Bob (yes, I have used Aloha Bob). But sorry, I don't know of any programs offhand that will do what you ask.

would agree with Sival - install fresh (particularly as original installation corrupt - so presumably anything installed there may be also).

The hard drive manufacturer should have free diagnostic and copying software to handle the replacement of any old drive with a new drive.

Aloha Bob. I tried the Advanced version and lower version 2 to 3 years ago, upgrading to XP from 98 & XP machines. Some transfers were fairly involved with selecting various options and moving non-parallel folders to new PC's. Still all in all it worked very well for my clients.

linney - I will contact the drive manufacturer for your suggestions. Good idea. [Thank you Wolluf & Sival also]

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back